Monday, December 05, 2005

Re: Questions to ponder over the weekend.

re: question #3--My gloves were in my denim purse; question #6--I'm going to watch the Seahawks on Monday Night Football at the Spencers. (these are the only questions that have been decently answered so far....Over the weekend, pondering my life wasn't really on the agenda, because I somehow scheduled it out with meetings, events, Christmas shopping, etc.)

But, what was discovered over the weekend is that Heather has a penchant for karaoke! One of my students (who is also singing at all times) and I grabbed a mic to do outstanding covers of American Woman and December 1963 during our weekend Christmas Party, dubbed "That Christmas Thing..." Believe it or not, I had never before actually stood before a crowd to perform in this manner, and while I thought I was just being interesting, apparently the crowd has now deemed me 'crazy.' I don't know what they're talking about, really. Yesterday, one of my friends used the word 'flamboyant,' to describe my personality...which I don't really understand either. Maybe I'm normal and everyone else is weird.

The event itself was fun, and I enjoyed the time I spent with students both preparing for it and participating in it...our turnout was quite small for the kind of event it was and the investment we had made in it. So, what to do, really? There are 2500 kids ages 13-18 in Arlington Public Schools, and we obviously care a lot about seeing all of those 2500 kids have the opportunity to receive love and mentoring and hear about what Jesus Christ has done for them...but how do we get their attention?

No good answer today, but I feel much more like I'm ministering to hyped-up, busy Suburban kids than actually working with 'small-town kids with nothing to do.' I think we have to continue to work to be more creative and think more outside-the-box....oooh, I can feel the axons and dendrites stretching. This demographic is sooo hard!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

flamboyant huh? I'm sure she meant it in a very nice...I love heather just the way she is sort of way.

suz said...

i shall be gladly be audience to your "interesting" kareoke skills at new years. and really, in that crowd, we're all crazy/weird, so any flamboyancy perceived will eagerly be embraced and celebrated.