Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Backroads.

The name for this blog originated with an Over the Rhine album titled Ohio, and in the title song, Karin sings, "Hello Ohio. The backroads. I know Ohio like the back of my hand. Alone Ohio where the river bends. It's so strange to see your story end."

2 years ago, when I was preparing for the move to Washington, the words seemed fitting, especially because Karin was talking about something I love more about Ohio than anything else--the backroads.

In all of it, I remember that feeling of the open midwestern backroad, and the counsel and contemplation that late-night drives from Indiana to Ohio bring...and I know that tomorrow I will be leaving Ohio again.

In honor of leaving, I have compiled a list of things I love about Ohio/Indiana and will miss as I head home to the Northwest. These are in no particular order:

1. The Backroads. Especially the routes I take to get to and from the homes of various relatives at unmentionable speeds.

2. Steak and Shake. 24-hour chain of greasy spoon dining. A staple during Taylor days.

3. Fazoli's. Real Italian. Real Fast. And beautiful unending breadsticks.

4. Trail Bologna. Amish people make fabulous hors d'oerves

5. Baker's IGA Vegetable Dip. There is nothing like this fine dip in the entire world, and the world is sadder for not knowing of it.

6. Sitting with High School Friends at a local restaurant and running into blasts from the past.

7. The Big Blue Arch on the Ohio/Indiana border.

8. The passion with which we embrace our local sports teams. (i.e. at Christmas, every person in my entire family received at least one piece of Ohio State memorabilia, even though my cousin Kris is the only one who has attended Ohio State).

9. My dad's digital recording studio! Barrista Boy is not yet finished, and I find the whole process of recording sound to be both exciting and tedious.

10. Little John Lennon and Little Ringo. These are the knit dolls I made dad for Christmas. I am horribly attached to them. I will miss them. Little John Lennon even has his own theme song, which I wrote for him.

11. Talking with my mom in the patio room dressed in PJ's.

12. Talking with dad about songwriting while plucking on his stash of fine axes.

13. Loudly composing impromptu songs with Sean while we're walking into the church on Christmas Eve. (Mom and Dad duck and hide in a shrub claiming that we are not their children. This makes us sing louder.)

14. Watching Grandma and Grandpa Casey hold hands and kick back in their matching recliners.

15. Driving Grandma and Grandpa Baker to holiday gatherings.

16. Being within enough driving distance to spend my weekend with Noah and Beth, Hannah and Jon, Adria, Suzanne and Barrett, and Danara.

17. Feeling like life has a context that is 25 years deep.

**********************************************************

So, I will be sad to leave Ohio again. And yet, I am excited to return home to Washington. I am excited to see my rivers. I am excited to see my apartments, and my church, and my friends, and my kids. I am excited to finish my stash of smoked salmon. I am excited to see my mountains. I am excited to have espresso stands and consistent cell phone service, and I am excited to be in the place God has laid on my heart to be for this point in my life.

Before I return there, I pause for a 5-day visit to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and a weekend with 17 Taylor friends. Updates and photos will come, I'm sure.

"Alone Ohio. Where the river bends. It's so sad to see your story end."

No comments: