Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bob's 2006! A Success!

"Bob's Island Getaway 2006" has come and gone. This is the silly name for something that is, quite simply, a Spring Break Retreat on San Juan Island. 96 students from 7 different towns in Washington, and an entire slew of YD staff and volunteers working to make it happen.

From what I can tell, everyone had a blast. It seems like spiritual progress was made with many students. Mostly, it seems like many students discovered community like they never had before. If there are any doubts, you can read a few of their comments on our MySpace Page...

The obvious highlight for me was having Adria, Zach and Tim here all weekend to lead Improv Comedy with me. (Thanks for the photo, Adria.) It was definately a difficult crowd of students to entertain (especially when we gave them permission to boo us!)

Probably the biggest difference for me this weekend was that I had a lot of programmatic roles, but I was not leading a small group. Erin and Esther did an amazing job of managing and leading the Arlington girls...and I rarely saw them all weekend. It felt odd!

At the same time, I was up in front as MC and leading the Improv charge. Somehow, I wasn't really prepared to be up front all weekend, but it seemed to work out well. My coworkers kept telling me I was doing a great job of managing the audience...and I was like, really? My boss has even gone so far as to say I have the potential of being a paid professional speaker...to which...I just kind of throw my hands up and say, "Okay?!" feeling rather uncertain.

2 days later, I'm still exhausted by it all...and in Arlington, we haven't seen a lot of visible fruit of our labor this year...the encouragement in how students are moving forward is pretty undetectable at times...So...we just pray for our kids and pray for God to give us the confidence that He is moving in the hearts of our students.


2 comments:

Regan & Kent said...

So exciting that you guys had a pilaf reunion! Can you email me Zach's contact info? Haven't talked to him in forever!!! So glad it went well. :)

Anonymous said...

A weekend I will never forget!