Monday, April 10, 2006

First Run of the Season!

Saturday, I took my first run of the season down the Wenatchee River! It felt soooo good to be back! I had a brand-new PFD (Personal Flotation Device), which I was thrilled about...and I had Suzanne in my boat with me (she was visiting from Chicago.)

The river is still in its baby stage for the season (running at 2300 cubic feet per second), but with impending spring and melting snow, there is much more Wenatchee River to be seen this year. As the snow melts, the river is just going to keep getting bigger!!! Hooray! As we were driving back to Arlington on Saturday night, and I saw the Cascades all around me, I looked up and greeted the snowy peaks with an affirming, "Hello, yet-to-be rapids!"

It was fun to introduce Suzanne to YD Adventures, as she braved the Wenatchee and hung out with the guides at Stonewater Ranch. Seeing things from her perspective allowed me to step outside of myself a little and say, "My life is already so much of what I would have wished it to be!"

I mean, in the last 48 hours, I have guided a raft through Class III rapids on the Wenatchee River, enjoyed a visit from one of my best friends, sipped on Seattle's finest latte (a favorite of mine in West Seattle), and woken up in a mountain cabin, where I can spend Monday morning writing, drinking tea, and contemplating the mountains I can see from the living room window. Suddenly, even though I am still very much on my own as a missionary to this place, I can see God gradually handing me the desires of my heart, "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus" (Phil 1:6).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...in the last 48 hours, I have guided a raft through Class III rapids on the Wenatchee River, enjoyed a visit from one of my best friends, sipped on Seattle's finest latte (a favorite of mine in West Seattle), and woken up in a mountain cabin, where I can spend Monday morning writing, drinking tea, and contemplating the mountains I can see from the living room window."

i'm jealous...

Anonymous said...

HMB said, "Saturday, I took my first run of the season down the Wenatchee River!"

...and I'm jealous.
HMB, I'm about to strap my kayak on our little 2-door Mirage that gets 40 mpg and travel the 2000 miles to see firsthand if your tauntings are worth the jealousy!
haha. Great blogging - mcbride