Thursday, April 27, 2006

Grief. Immense Grief.

I don't really quite know what to do with this. Four Taylor students and one Taylor employee killed in what must have been a terrible, horrific accident. You can read about it in the Indianapolis Star here.

Last night, I was laying in bed, thinking about everything and nothing wondering what the atmosphere on campus is today...I'm remembering how we all felt in 2000 when Ashley was killed in a car crash, how we all felt when Kim died in the hiking accident in Ireland, how we dealt with the loss of Shawn and Katrina and LaVerne and David and so many others. I'm remembering how scary it was when the van-full of Admissions kids rolled on the way to Hartford City. I'm thinking about how small and intimate everything always is when you're on a campus in Upland, Indiana with 1900 people you love and share community with.

This morning, even, as I'm talking with friends, it's like, the time and space between us and Upland is irrelevant, because we are there...we are with them...because they are part of us. Their grief is our grief because we are all Taylor...it affects us all.

I'm praying for campus, I'm praying for my friends and Professors who are still there. I'm praying for students who are trying to understand. I'm praying for the semi driver who crossed the median. I'm praying for the van full of students and staff who arrived at the scene moments after the crash. I'm praying for a campus that I love so much--that is hurting in a way that I can't even imagine.

5 comments:

Regan & Kent said...

you said it Beautifully! I agree with all of your comments. It makes me just want to physically be there as well.

Anonymous said...

How awful... I'm praying with you lady.

wren said...

In addition to the close feeling of Taylor that we all feel, this morning I discovered that one of my former students was nearly in those vans. To know him so well, to know how he processes, to know that he specifically is hurting, to know the community... my soul aches. Taylor's emblem is the bell tower: the two elements of faith and learning intricately tied together. I pray for the strengthening of faith on campus even as the students struggle to finish their semester.

Anonymous said...

so much tragedy for a small community. god moves in ways i may never understand.

Jessica Dearly Loved said...

Heather,

Jessica and I have been thinking and praying a lot about the tragic accident and for everyone involved. Talked to my brother Stephen and it sounds like major sadness--he and good friends of his are going to Brad's funeral in Milwaukee that is later today (Sunday).

God is still in control.

N & J