Friday, March 18, 2005

Skagit River...

Months ago, as part of Monday Night Girls Bible Study, I instructed the girls to create a list of 100 Goals that they have for their life. I made myself a list too. Actually, I apparently have 142 goals. The goals are varied--like places I want to visit (Machu Picchu, Lhasa, Victoria Falls), skills I want to learn (Martial Arts, Surfing, Driving Stick), ways I want to live my life (shopping at Independents, Staying out of debt, Writing encouraging notes), and things I want to own (a Jeep Wrangler, a big Bay Window, a big dog)....

Since I made the list of 142 goals several months ago, I have checked off one box--I learned how to make good hummus. And I am in process of checking off two more--I am working on #43--learning how to roll a whitewater kayak, and I am going to begin working on #42--becoming an officially trained as Whitewater Rafting Guide. Tomorrow morning I will begin my first of several weekends of training on the Skagit River. The Skagit River is not the most exciting of Washington's River, but if I wanted to launch into that goal, I would basically have no time for anything else for the next few months, so I'm starting with the Smallest of our Washington rafted rivers, and over the next few years, maybe I will progress onwards and upwards.

It's more than just doing something fun and exciting really--it's about the ministry that happens on a river with kids. I will be trained by the Outdoor Adventure part of YD (Reachout Expeditions), meaning I will be trained by my coworkers...and...on weekends when I'm helping out with a trip, I can take Arlington kids with me, which will add new depth to our relationships.

So I'm excited, anxious, and stocked up on my Neoprene, and ready to go...

1 comment:

Drewser said...

I can't be-LIEVE you're becoming a white water rafting guide! That's like, the coolest thing I've ever heard of in my life! And so you!! I think it's your best idea yet and I'm super supportive of you! You go, White Water Camel (WWC?).