Monday, March 14, 2005

Fun Facts for a Monday.

This morning was my first hour of volunteering in the Special Ed department at Arlington High School. I'm going to be spending three hours a week with the Juniors and Seniors, helping them work on their required Senior Project.

What did I learn during my visit today? That when one sticks a lighter very close to their sock, it creates a very interesting and elusive flame that encompasses the entire sock without devouring it, burning off all of the sock fuzz. This is what the Junior and Senior Special Ed kids were doing today--lighting their socks on fire. This had absolutely nothing to do with their Senior Projects. (I told one of the kids that I was so impressed that I would go home and tell all of my friends. He told me I was being patronizing...but, as a result of this post, I have proved him wrong.)

On a sorer note--yesterday I went hiking with a friend near Bellingham, Washington--and while the hike in and of itself was a bit long and arduous, the payoff at the high point was well worth it. You can see pictures from the outlook here. We gained about 2000 feet in elevation in about 2 hours, and the trails were rather vertical in spots...but what I absolutely love is that on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in March I can spend the afternoon hiking up very tall hills and talking about Jesus.

3 comments:

Drewser said...

I can't BELIEVE I never figured out that sock thing! That's the kind of thing I would have thought was the coolest thing ever in high school. Heck, even in college. Ok, ok, it's even darn cool now! I've GOT to try it. BTW, do you have to take the sock off?

suz said...

I must admit I'm surprised the whole burning sock phenomenon is not more widely know...only now do I realize what a diverse education I received by hanging out with a bunch of guys in high school. Drew, I would recommend leaving the sock on...that's the way I've always seen it done...touching flame to sock fuzz while on a foot seems to signify a neat trick...touching flame to a sock that's just lying there seems to equate with just lighting something on fire. but who knows, report back on how your experiments go!

Drewser said...

Ok, so is there a certain type of sock that works better than others? I'm assuming 100% cotton is a good bet...what about cotton blends? Does it matter if it's a cotton/rayon or cotton/polly blend? What about wool socks? I'm very intrigued.