Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Know when to hold them.

Balancing Depth and Breadth seems to be a significant theme for me this year. It applies in relationships with the kids (Quality v. Quantity) as well as with other youth pastors and churches...how can I be everything to everybody in ministry? The obvious answer--I can't. The practical questions are 'how do I deal with not being able to build relationships with every student and Youth Pastor' and 'how do I decide which students and Youth Pastors to invest in?'

Today--for whatever reason, I have been singing Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" in my head. WHY!? WHY? I don't even remember having heard that song on the radio ever..."You got to know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em. Know when to walk away and know when to run." So is being in ministry a bit like being a gambler? And how do I 'know' when to hold them, when to fold them, etc.? What if I fold a kid I was supposed to hold just because I wasn't willing to take a risk...or what if I hold onto a kid that I'm never going to reach?! And most importantly, WHY am I trying to glean wisdom from Kenny Rogers?

I really am a horrible gambler. And I feel like I'm really horrible at knowing when to hold and fold my kids...I don't want to fold them....but I also don't want to be playing my hand and look down to realize I'm holding 47 cards...It's too many.

So today, I'm not praying for any more cards in my hand. I have enough cards. In fact, I almost have too many cards...I don't need any more cards...But I do need to know my hand better...and I do need to know when to hold them and when to fold them...

1 comment:

Drewser said...

Great song. Several life-giving truths...for example, you "never count your money when you're sittin' at the table. there'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done". Numbers don't matter in the middle of things. Just keep on strong, Camel. Your ministry is blessed.