Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Taylor in West Seattle.

Should I ever doubt that an education at a small Christian 4-year school in the cornfields of Indiana was sufficient, I need only drive down to Seattle for an evening to remember why I love Taylor! I spent last evening with five Taylorites whom I have not seen in three years and am blown away by how time and space does not make the Taylor community any less encouraging and wonderful!

Brock, who has been a good friend since we shared Music Theory classes together in Fall of 1999, was in town (thanks to a tremendous deal on JetBlue--$59 each way from Boston!), and we had dinner with Taylor friends Luke and Anna, who live and work in Seattle (Luke and Anna were renowned at Taylor for their mad skills as barristas at "The Jumping Bean.") I was also pleasantly surprised to meet up with Joel and Lauren, other Taylor friends whom I didn't even know lived here! So--there is a small Taylor community only an hour away from me, and I didn't even know it until yesterday. Blessing!!!

We laughed and called it a mini-reunion, like we'd really planned it that way...and we caught up on interesting tidbits of information that seems to cross the Taylor alumni communication wires.

It's so affirming to me to know that the body of Christ--and the church--is something that lives entirely separate from shared time and space...in the words of the song--"The church is not a building, the church is not a steeple, the church is not a resting place, the church is the people." I'm so thankful that I had four years as a part of a community of believers that are now working in parts of God's kingdom on earth all over the place...and I was certainly blessed to be in community with a few of them last night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather MMMMM Baker!

It was GREAT to see you! I absolutely love mini-impromptu-Taylor reunions. I agree with you in that it's amazing to see people from different walks of life out there serving God in different ways, and it makes it even cooler that we all have this common bond of Taylor somewhere in our not-so-distant histories...

Brocko