Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Happy Pi Day!

That's right--it's 3.14.06....meaning that we celebrate Pi, the world's loveliest irrational number today. If you have any special memories of Pi and the role it's played in your life, feel free to leave a comment and share it.

I don't remember the first time I met Pi and used him in Algebra...but I do remember the first time I read Life of Pi, which is a great novel about a shipwrecked boy and a Bengal Tiger named Richard Parker (although not necessarily associated with Dr. Richard Parker, Taylor Professor.)

And...tomorrow is 3.15...Beware the Ides of March!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In 7th grade I had a math teacher with a monotone and the whole class just sat and stared at him bored every day. He had pi on the wall, with like 30 digits to the right of the decimal point. One kid actually was so bored he memorized the whole thing. I should ask him if he still remembers it. My guess is no. I love WASL. I can stay up past midnight without dooming myself schoolwise, since I don't have to be there til 11:30. I never thought I would say this, and it will probably kill me later, but thank God for state mandated testing./end rant