Monday, June 27, 2005

Oh the joy you find in Winthrop.


Erin, myself, and Jenny settle in for a very intense ride around Pearrygin Lake in a 3-Man Inner Tube. Little did I know that I was taking my life in my hands. Posted by Hello

So this past weekend, I joined 120 members of Arlington Free Methodist Church for the annual church camping trip to Pearrygin Lake--A 3-hour trek over the North Cascades mountain trek near the restored Old West town of Winthrop. What kind of excitement awaited me there?

Well, besides getting to spend the weekend with all of my awesome AFMC friends, I got to experience a near-death on an inner tube, I got to hang out by the side of the highway next to a boat trailer with busted bearings, I got to travel over the mountain pass in a very heavily-burdened 1984 Subaru, and most importantly, I got to experience the Inagural Run in my brand new REI Half-Dome 2 Tent.

The most interesting/exciting thing of the entire weekend, though? (Besides hanging out on a beautiful campsite with my friends Erin and Cordell)...

On Saturday morning, we drove 20 miles to the Twisp Farmer's Market, located in the town of Twisp, WA (Pop. 1000). As I'm walking down the street, I think, "Hey, I know that girl!" My heart quickens, and I catch her eye and I wave. She sees me, and her jaw drops. I nearly run out in front of a car as I run her way, and give her a big hug. It was Becca, whom I met at Daystar University in Kenya four years ago. She just happened to be walking down the street with friends on her way to the Twisp Farmer's Market, too. Imagine! Turns out that she lives in Seattle (about 4 hours away from our current location) and was in town for the weekend.

So crazy.

It is now confirmed that I know everyone in the entire world. Okay, not really. But still. Geesh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all have moments like that. It's funny when it happens to you.

Drewser said...

You may not know everyone, but I'd give you 2-3 degrees of separation from everyone. Which makes you my link within 3-4 degrees. Wow. It's great to know people who know people.