Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Baker's IGA takes on corporate America!


my parents: Gary and Terrie Baker--fighters for small town independent business.Posted by Hello

You don't have to be in my presence too long before I make some comment that is in retort to avoidance of all things chain-related.

That would be because I was raised by two people who believe in local business, and they happen to run one that currently is showing remarkable improvement and success, even in the midst of the all-reaching, all-powerful chains that try to knock it down.

Just this week, the Coshocton store received its 5-star rating from IGA! Woohoo! This award comes within two weeks of having a Super Wal-Mart open a mile away, and the Coshocton Baker's Foods is kicking chain store bootie!

You should post a comment to give a shout-out to Mom and Dad who read this blog at least once a week. They taught me everything I know about being a leader, and they are continuing to fight the battle for individuality in small towns, defending America from becoming a series of carbon-copied vats of homogenous gated communities.

6 comments:

suz said...

This is my shout-out to Heather's parents and Baker's Foods! Congratulations on your recent award and on raising an independent grocery store heiress who is smart, kind, witty, and a champion of home-town industry.

wren said...

I love Gary and Terrie! I second Suzanne's congratulations on your award, and also her "heiress" comment. That was good.

I would also like to see Heather wield a machete. That would be funny.

Drewser said...

Woo Hoo!! Go Baker's Foods! I most remember Baker's foods as our source of sustanance for several weekend getaways in lovely Ohio. I'm proud of you guys and you look great!

And I can totally picture the heiress weilding a machete while cutting a path to port their whitewater raft to better rapids. You go, camel.

suz said...

On another note, Heather, there's a problem with the link to Store Wars that you might want to check out. However, I was able to find it and WOW--that is the most entertaining, clever, and creative thing I've watched in a while. I DID laugh out loud! And I might never look at my vegetables the same way again. :)

hmb said...

Have fixed link.

And have fixed typo in Baker's name. Is now Baker's IGA. Had forgotten. Will defend self by saying, since a young child, Baker's name has been "Baker's A/G, Baker's Sparkle, Baker's Foods, Baker's IGA." and probably a few that I'm forgetting.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your prestigious award - and I hope you continue to defy the odds and succeed splendidly in the shadows of that dreaded big bad wally-world!! They will never have what you surely do have, namely exceptionally fabulous customer service and a caring attitude toward your customers!! Heather is a joy to have here in Arlington, WA. I see where she gets her spark from!!
Elly