Friday, August 06, 2004

The Washington State Department of Licensing.

Do seven years of driving experience and no moving violations count for anything anymore?

NOT IN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON!

In Washington, all that the Department of Licensing cares about is "Can you pass our ridiculously tricky computerized driving test?"

The point of this rant: I have failed my written exam for a Washington State Driver's License. Some of the tricky questions include the following:
1. When driving on a four-lane highway with a median separating the lanes, when you approach a school bus with flashing red lights, what should you do? (pass it unless children are crossing the road)
2. What is the fine for parking in a handicapped zone without a permit? ($250)
3. If you are the cause of an accident which results in injuries requiring hospitalization, death, or more than $700 damage to a vehicle, within how many days of the accident are you required to report the accident to the state highway patrol? (4 days--I said 2 days...don't you think that if you're in an accident where someone dies you should maybe call the police sooner than four days later?)

It is important to note that I read the entire State Driving Guide Booklet and read the fine print, and there were not very clear answers given throughout the book.

It was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because I kept talking about how I would fail the test, and then this morning, I couldn't find the booklet to do some last minute cramming...I'm convinced this is all an elaborate scheme to keep me humble. I will go retake the test tomorrow.

P.S. you don't have to pass a test to get new license plates, which is good, because Mt. Rainier now graces the front end and back end of my vehicle. Whew.

No comments: