Monday, August 16, 2004

3 Exciting Things

#1- Saturday, I became an official member of the Seattle Art Museum. I've never lived within driving distance of such a quality art museum, therefore it was mandatory I become a member (plus, if you're a member, you get 15% off all the books in the bookstore! Hooray!). The special exhibit at the art museum was a Dutch collection, featuring a lot of Van Gogh (also hooray!) Including: "Cafe Terrace on the Place du Forum at midnight" and "The Garden of the Asylum at Saint Remy". My favorite piece, however, was by the Dutch Artist Johan Thorn Prikker. The painting, called "The Bride" was rich in Dutch and Christian symbolism (you can see the crucifix, the crown of thorns, and tulips in the painting)....ahhh...it was one of those paintings that you gallavant around the whole gallery and find yourself still staring at an hour later...LOVELY.

#2- Arundhati Roy, whom I once wrote about on this blog, (as the author of The God of Small Things) will be coming to Seattle on Tuesday to speak, and I now have a ticket to see her! Hoorah! It is becoming quite apparent that I love being within driving distance of the city.

#3- I had a wonderful time in worship yesterday with the people of Arlington Free Methodist Church. I have not yet decided if this is to be my church home, but yesterday, when I walked in the doors and saw a few familiar faces, I thought--this is very nice. I actually know about ten people that attend this church, which is about as many people as I know everywhere else combined--so...we'll see...it was a solid, Bible-based, dynamic service, and I liked it.


1 comment:

hannah faith said...

Arundhati Roy....aaaaah! So unfair. I'm pouting here.