Saturday, July 17, 2004

the rest of the story...

this morning i rolled out of bed at 4am to take my travel buddy, my brother sean, to the seattle-tacoma airport and send him home!

we had a great second half of travelling this week, with a few notable highlights:
*mt. rushmore! i actually bumped into president lincoln in the gift shop, and he tipped his hat at me.
*emptiness: wyoming and southern montana are very spacious and very empty...even more empty than south dakota...we got no cell phone or fm radio reception for hours.
*kalispell, montana: a great visit with the Bjork family (family of one of my friends from Kenya)...and an afternoon trudging through snow at 6500 ft. in
Glacier National Park! We took the hidden lake loop trail, and I was unfortunately wearing my Teva Sandals. I didn't know there would be so much snow on the trail, and my toes were COOOLD! but saying hello to a few passing mountain goats made it all worth it...
*traffic in seattle: it was even worse than the traffic we encountered in chicago! yuck! but we made it safely up the I-5 to Arlington by Thursday afternoon...

There will be no updates after today until next week, because TOMORROW--i'm leaving for an 8-day kayaking trip with Youth Dynamics and Reachout Expeditions. We're taking five teen guys and three teen girls to kayak 50 miles in the Owyhee River in remote Southeast Oregon, close to Idaho and Nevada...there will be much to share upon my return!

No comments: