Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Top Five November 12th Events.

For lack of anything more interesting today, here is my top 5 list of interesting things that have happened on November 12th in days gone by:

  1. 1970 -- The "Exploding Whale" Incident in Florence, Oregon. (Highway Dept blows up rotting whale. Amazing.
  2. 1933 -- First photo of the Loch Ness Monster is taken.
  3. 1912 -- Frozen bodies of Scott and his men are found in Antarctica.
  4. 1970 -- Tonya Harding was born.
  5. There is no #5...because November 12th is really that boring of a day.

2 comments:

suz said...

Favorite line from the Wikipedia article on #1 - "the blast blasted blubber beyond all believable bounds." That's some fine alliteratve reporting right there!

And yes, I am bothered by the fact that my morbid fascination with the absurdity of blowing up a whale on the beach prompted me to read almost the entire article. But it did.

hbu said...

I read the whole article too. It's moderately embarrassing...but seriously, it's fascinating. I like the one that exploded on a street in Taiwan.