Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Silence, Obedience, Humility.

After enduring the last many months of water-cooler political conversations, I think I'm ready to be a Quaker or Amish or something...anything where I get to go live in the country, hum a lot, bake bread and not talk about politics. I wouldn't even mind washing my clothes by hand.

Last night, I was lying in bed, my heart heavy. I was burdened by the perspectives of so many Christian brothers and sisters, who place their faith in our political structure above their faith in our Lord. To my surprise, Mark Driscoll shared a message on his blog today that spoke to the exact concern I was feeling! (I say to my surprise, only because I often disagree with Mr. Driscoll's interpretation of the Word...and I was encouraged by his words today.)

In the early church, anytime the church and politics mingled, the church ended up sacrificing one agenda to pursue another agenda. In pursuit of purity, we might sacrifice grace. In pursuit of justice, we might sacrifice forgiveness. My question is regarding the way that Christians engage in and respond to politics today...by enagaging in the way we do with the issues we choose, what have we compromised?

P.S. Your election day song of contemplation is here.

2 comments:

Jessica Ronhaar said...

Did I hear right that you are in agreement with Mr. Driscoll?

It's funny because I have been willing to throw around the idea of moving and living a monastic lifestyle. It seems so simple and away from all these stresses and things that run and rule our lives. Ok that is my thought of the day.

hbu said...

I have this new philosophy that well-rounded people seek truth both from sources they agree with and sources they disagree with...

I also listened to a Focus on the Family radio program the other night on the way home. Please denote I did not quote them here. :-)