Friday, July 14, 2006

The trip to Ohio: photojournalistic highlights.

1. The Detroit Airport. It's a very odd conglomeration of modern artisticy-type things. When I arrived there for my layover, I was completely disoriented and desensitized (mind you, it was 5:15am Eastern, 2:15am Pacific.) I saw what I have deemed "The Terminal to Infinity" complete with over 60 gates all in a long row...and I walked through this tunnel, which I have titled "Japanese Mermaid Goes to the Airport."

The tunnel was several hundred feet long, was constantly changing colors and had some sort of pervasive Japanese Mermaid-esque tunes emanating from glass-etched walls. I'd barely slept on the plane...and I was fumbling through a hallucinogenic tunnel in the middle of the night. It felt very Lost in Translation-ish.

2. The Backyard "Cook Out." Ever since I moved to Washington, I've been resisting the term "barbecue." In Washington, you do not "Cook Out" on a "Grill." You have a "barbecue." It doesn't matter that there's no barbecue sauce and that you're cooking on a barbecue grill...it's a barbecue.

It was such a relief to be in Ohio and hear mom say, "We're having a cook out with the family tonight." Whew. I know what that means.

So lots of people in the extended Baker/Casey fam gathered around a backyard campfire for grub and convo. We love to tell good stories, and I was very eager to relate to my teenage cousins, who all are now my friends on MySpace and whose love lives would fill quite a few made-for-TV-teen-dramedies.

3. The reason we were home: Kris and Desiree's Wedding. My cousin Kris married his high school sweetheart, Desiree in a beautiful ceremony in Newcomerstown. Over 400 Wedding attendees, a Hummer, and bubble wrap. What more could you ask for? Oh, you want the electric slide and the chicken dance? Check, check.

(Pictured below--L-R--Grandma, Sean, Aunt Angie (Mother of Groom), Dad, Cousin Sandy, Mom, Me)















4. A Day at "America's Roller Coast." Cedar Point and I hadn't hung out together since the dawn of the millennium, so I was glad to be there again. We did all the mandatory Cedar Point traditions: photo in the stocks, riding the big coasters, eating a lemon freeze, and returning home dripping wet thanks to the water rides (HA! Just kidding! Totally skipped the water rides!!!)

But--Isaac and I did tackle the Corkscrew, Mean Streak, Gemini, Magnum, Millennium Force, Raptor, Power Tower, and Top Thrill Dragster. Which, as far as number of ginormous roller coasters in one day has to be a personal best. So, two thumbs up for Cedar Point, and special thanks to Isaac, who is a very good peer pressurer. He assured me that even though I blacked out last time I rode Millennium Force, I probably wouldn't this time. And I didn't. I think it's because the DJ in line prepped us with some quality Britney Spears tunes to get us pumped up for the 310-foot drop.



Thus ends this photojournalistic journey. It does not fully capture the interestingness of last week. But, I hope it's a small improvement to white text on a black screen.

3 comments:

Jessica Dearly Loved said...

Heather,

Glad you had a great time home in Ohio and at Cedar Point! By the way (this is a very ignorant and possibly rude question), who's Isaac?

Nate (and Jessica)

Brock said...

Heather,

I totally hear you on the Detroit Airport! For those of us who have decided that psychadellic mushrooms should be avoided, this is probably the next best thing. My most memorable experience in this artistic masterpiece came whilst missing my flight back to Indiana after Jterm at Oxford--the rest of my team flew on ahead and I was left to enjoy the long lost art of Asian neon wall decorating--over, and over... I can imagine, though, that the experience would have been exponentially more entertaining when jet-lagged and glassy-eyed...

Brocko

hmb said...

NATE!
Isaac went to Taylor! He lived in Gerig, and he is my friend.
You can go visit his blog at www.xanga.com/theisaacfix.
(And--hi Isaac, if you're reading this.)