Monday, July 31, 2006

Owyheeeeeeee

I have returned home from another week-long trip on the Owyhee River. Incredible! 14 of us in Inflatable Kayaks all week on the most beautiful stretch of desert wilderness in the entire country.

I had a blast getting to know the six students from Sitka, Alaska, getting to know their three leaders, spending time with my YD guide friends, and swimming through Class II/III rapids.

At the end of the week, the Sitka leaders said to me, "We're coming back in Summer '08, and we want you ready to lead!" Later, Greg (our trip leader) told me, "You know, you're going to be a great trip leader..." Wow. I've never really anticipated that people would have confidence that I could safely navigate them through 50 miles of backcountry whitewater...but Jenny, one of the leaders of Sitka's group said, "When I was in the rapids with you, I felt safe!"

So. I have a new goal--to get my whitewater and trip leading skills to the level that I could lead a group of adults and students through the Owyhee wilderness on a 6-day kayaking trip. Specifically--to be able to tailor more of the trips towards women. Right now we don't have any women in high enough leadership positions to make the trips 100% women (hence why we had two male guides on an all-girls trip.) So...a new goal.

1 comment:

Pastor Paul said...

I know the MLYD girls would appreciate it (even if you are working for YDA-WA), and who knows - we may return if I get a job close enough to the NW. Great job on another successful trip.