Friday, October 21, 2005

Arlington Football...

I am dying to go to the Arlington High School Football game tonight. It's an away game in Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island, home to Oak Harbor YD. Thus--I could get all school-spirited with my YD counterparts and stage a fiercely competitive duel. But...thus far, none of my students want to go to the game with me. What is their problem?! High school football--the division title--guts, glory, etc.

Then I'm faintly thinking back to my own high school days and remembering that the only time in my entire life that I have not loved high school football was when I was in high school. What is that all about?

Last week, when I showed up at a home game by myself and sat by some kids I knew in the band, a few boys felt really sorry for me--apparently--and called me a "loner" and sang me a chorus of You Are My Sunshine.

What they don't know is that I'm just assuaging the pain of being so far from my Buckeyes and Browns and Redskins by living vicariously through them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you take that photo? It's a great shot!!!

hmb said...

It IS a great shot, but i did not take it...sadly...

95% of the photos I post are "borrowed" from somewhere on the Google Images database...shhhh.