Thursday, August 25, 2005

A Date with Derek and Sandra


Sandra McCracken and Derek Webb thinking about how great it will be to meet Heather Michelle Baker in October... Posted by Picasa

Circa August 1999, future roommates Beth Byers (DeLong) and Heather Michelle begin listening to a little album called 40 Acres by Caedmon's Call. Heather, in particular, develops a particular affinity for the songs on the album written and performed by one of the band's members--Derek Webb. She remembers playing the songs over and over, especially "Table for Two."

Circa August 2001, Heather leaves for four months in Africa, and before she goes, she sings "Faith My Eyes," to herself, knowing that it perfectly fits the idea of leaving home and relying on the grace of God to get her through the next four months. While in Africa, a series of events triggers a new infatuation with all things Derek Webb, in particular, a track off Long Line of Leavers titled, "Love is Different Than You Think." She returns from Africa to condense all of Derek Webb's songs off all three Caedmon's Call albums into one Derek Webb volume, titled "Heather's Official Derek Webb Mix CD."

Circa August 2004, Heather picks up a solo album by Derek Webb titled She Must and Shall Go Free, which she listens to continually for three very lonely weeks. The album inspires a written journal about solitude and cultivates a strong desire within Heather to become a songwriter herself. At this point, she becomes a self-proclaimed fan of all things Derek Webb.

Circa November 2004, Heather receives her pre-ordered copy of Derek's newest solo release, I See Things Upside Down via USPS. She immediately falls in love with the songs "Reputation" and "I Repent."

Circa August 2005, Heather receives word that Derek Webb (along with his wife, songwriter Sandra McCracken) will be in Marysville, Washington (a mere 10 minutes from Arlington) on October 15, 2005. Heather immediately picks up the phone to call the youth pastor at Marysville First Baptist, where she knows Pastor Chip. She says, "You are on my list! Did you know that I am, in fact, the biggest Derek Webb fan in the world?" He says, "No, I didn't, but if you want to help out and promote the concert, I will ensure that you can have dinner with Derek and Sandra."

Egads. So, I will bring every unchurched kid in the state of Washington that I can find to the concert, and in return, I get to have dinner with one of my favorite contemporary songwriters.

Not a bad deal, I say. (Heather retreats into glassy-eyed stupor and sighs).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not unchurched, but can I still go? You. Me. Coffee. When?
<3 Lizzy

Anonymous said...

HMB,

I spoke with Derek earlier this week, as he and Sandra are in my coffee shop occasionally. He now knows your name and I told him you were helping out with the show. So when you meet him, make the connection, as he may have forgotten by that time. Also, he said to have you come find him (I didn't tell him you were planning on dinner :) Peace