Monday, February 21, 2005

seeing the world through song.

Friday night, I took two teenage girls, along with my friends Sam and Esther, to see John VanDeusen, Micah Kelley, and Late Tuesday in concert. This is the second time I've seen John perform in two weeks, and I'm going to go with Sam to Bellingham to see him again in 2 weeks at Upfest. I am always impressed with this kid--he's 17, and he writes and sings like a young like a young Ben Folds, or (according to Sam) Brandon Boyd of Incubus. I actually can't think of anyone substantial to compare him with--other than to say, he has significantly more of an edge than John Mayer, rock piano potential like Ben Folds, and lots of depth to his lyrics while still being comprehensible.

Just seeing John perform and talking with him after his concerts, I realize, I really am a musician at heart so much. I am realizing this--like I forgot it or something. Maybe it's because during Lent, I am fasting from my CD's and my iTunes and I find myself singing outloud all the time in the car and at home to fill that space. Maybe it's because I wrote my first song with guitar accompaniment, inspired by the "Barrista Boy" at Starbuck's. Maybe it's because John and I can stand there and quote "Spinal Tap" to each other, ("No man, but this amp goes to eleven!") Maybe it's because I'm excited that mom, dad and I will be going to Jazz Alley in Seattle on Thursday to see Billy Preston perform in an intimate Jazz Club...maybe it's because I'm the daughter of a world-famous Rock Photographer...maybe it's because one of my best friends interns at RCA in NYC and tells me about great singers and then the next week they appear on The O.C., and I immediately go to iTunes and download the single!

I am a musician--the kind of musician that isn't a great musician, a great songwriter, or a great vocalist, but can tell when someone else is. Wait--does that mean I should be a rock critic? I'm now thinking of Almost Famous. I could do that.

P.S. Did I just set a world record for most links in one blog entry?

No comments: