Thursday, February 10, 2005

Identity Confirmed.

Last night I gave the Youth Group Sermon at Arlington Free Methodist Church, where I have been working as a volunteer leader for the last four months. There are usually 70-80 kids that come to their Youth Center on any given Wednesday because the facility not only has an indoor skate park, it also has an Arcade Room lit only by Blacklights with 2 DDR Boards. It's interesting.

So I shared from my heart about what it means to answer the questions "who am I?" and "what do I want to be?" and I showed a clip from "The Bourne Identity" when Matt Damon is trying to figure out who he is and Marie says to him "You will probably forget me!" and he says, "Forget You? You're the only person I know!" (I used this clip mostly because it was Matt Damon and then I twisted it to have an illustrative purpose. The senior high girls affirmed my choice in movie clips.)

And then I shared about how to Jesus, when we're sitting there wondering if anyone remembers us, He is sitting there saying, "Forget you? You're the only person I know!" And I also talked about what kind of person you are when you build your identity around sex/drugs/friends/anger/money compared to what kind of person you are when you build your life around Jesus.

I think it went well. One of the kids I know who came last night for the first time in months came up and specifically told me what a great job I did, so that meant a lot...and one of my girls that I mentor regularly kept referring to me as "Hey Heather Great Sermon" for the rest of the night. So...that was good.

One of the other volunteers said a kid she has been praying for asked her to pray with him about some stuff after the speaking was done, which was awesome and makes it all worth it.

1 comment:

hannah faith said...

egotistically, i like to think you're reading Life of Pi because of me. are you? i hope you love it.
peace