Monday, October 22, 2007

Huge Step of Faith

She turned down a good job in order to pursue her passions. What does God think of that?

Last night, I talked with a friend who turned down a 9-5 job with great benefits because it's not going to allow her to pursue her passions for student ministry. She's going to turn down the "guaranteed" paycheck and choose the more difficult path. For the next six months, she'll work 20 hours a week at a menial job and raise money so she can move into full-time student ministry. What a challenge!

I was struck by her faith--to look "security" in the eye and choose to value something else. This does not follow the cultural trend, where corporations' guarantees seem more reliable than following the still small voice of God. Even Christians I know would certainly choose a "secure" paycheck and position over a job that seems more uncertain but where they can radically live out their passions everyday. How incredible is it that it's easier to place our trust in Starbucks or Costco or Charles Schwab than in Lord God Almighty?

According to most Americans, my friend should grab the secure paycheck without looking back. Instead, she has chosen the road less traveled. She's chosen it because she loves the Lord so much and because she cares for people so much that she wants her day-to-day life to be filled with teaching young people about Him.

As I spoke with her, I thought, "What a woman of faith! What a bold step!" and I was humbled. And then I remembered...I remembered that four years ago, I stood where she was and took the step she did and chose passion over security. How quickly I've forgotten that God called my name and asked me to move to Washington to minister to teenagers. How quickly she reminded me that faith is terrifying and bold and sometimes counter-cultural.

God is watching you...He is watching me...He is watching how we prioritize our lives. What does he think of it?

No comments: