Friday, January 26, 2007

Props to "The Man."

So, I am very resistant to "The Man." You know this, yes?

When I say, "The Man," I specifically mean, "Any corporate conglomerate that I'm convinced is ruining America via mass-produced consumer goods and the exploitation of capitalism." My beef with big chains is rooted in how they destroy the local guy who lives and works in the community and can't compete with the pricing...and then as a result, how it homogonizes society and lessens overall quality. At the top of my list is the obvious Wal-Mart, followed by Costco, and Target. IKEA's on the list too, even though they're Swedish...mostly because of the store's non-user-friendly store layout. You can rest-assured that this line of thought started because of my heritage as the daughter of small-town independent grocers, but as I've developed as an adult, it's developed as one of my personal life principles.

To live my resistance, I have not stepped foot in a Wal-Mart in over two years...I have only been in Costco twice in my entire life (and spent $0)...and I make fun of IKEA a lot...

It's a good principle, but I haven't come to the point where I can avoid all chains... I love Gap jeans...and I spend a lot of time at Starbucks. I have not come to the point where I'm willing to sacrifice the jeans I love and the writing atmosphere I love for my principles...

And in the midst of it, how can I reconcile the fact that Starbucks has fantastic customer service? How can I reconcile that as I was pulling up to the drive-thru today to pick up my previously ordered "Berryblossom White Tea," I discovered I was wallet-less. When I told the cashier, she sweetly responded, "Today's drink is on us." My jaw hit the car door.

Sometimes I get mad at The Gap and Starbucks, thinking, "How dare you give me exactly what I want!" Today was one of those days. I was thankful for some fantastic customer service...and yet I'm kind of frustrated that Starbucks is a chain that's doing a lot of things right. It doesn't take away from the fact I get frustrated that they're not 100% Organic, Shade-Grown, Free-Trade... but they have fantastic customer service--a kind of customer service that's dying with the local hardware store...

So if I were to write a letter today, here's how it would go:

Dear "The Man,"

I get mad at you a lot. I want you to know this. You really, really frustrate me...and you're actually an insensitive jerk most of the time.

But today, I'm really you treated me really well. I really appreciate you making me feel like I wasn't a moron for leaving my wallet in my other jacket pocket and depriving me of your amazing BerryBlossom White Tea. I'm so impressed!

It doesn't mean that I'm okay with the fact that you are no Cafe Ladro, using 100% Fair Trade, Shade-Grown, Organic Coffee... In fact, I really think that if you're going to use your Spiderman-like "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility," you should really pursue this.

However, your customer service today (and 99% of days) is fantastic, which is definitely significant...and I want you to know that in the midst of all the angsty letters you may get from crazy Seattle liberals, you're doing something right.

Love,
A Happy Customer

P.S. Did "The Man" just sway me to his side for $1.89? I'm afraid that might be true...oh, how I'm so easily deceived...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going to work for The Man. Hhhheeeelllppp!!!! - JohnnyP