Monday, October 23, 2006

Time for Nothing.

The past two weekends I have desired a whole lot of nothing. And guess what--after two weekends of nothing, I'm painfully addicted to it.

I think it has something to do with having a lot of busyness in the work week. And this morning, as I was reading The Revolutionary Communicator: Seven Principles Jesus Lived to Impact, Connect and Lead (which I've been reading for at least four months. It is not a long book...I'm just that slow...) they talked about the principle of solitude as a necessary component of communication.

I thought to myself, "Oh...I'm spending all week communicating...and maybe I need to spend my weekends not communicating...just soaking in new things and being refreshed." (Like, you know, actually making Sabbath a Sabbath?)

Yesterday after church I came home and spent eight hours listening to music, lying on my bed reading books, and playing guitar. I read my daily Bible reading, a chapter of Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis, a chapter of Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Eternal Husband, a few pages of Kahlil Gabrin's The Prophet, a few chapters of Chuck Colson's Loving God (my Bible study's new book), and a few chapters of Gregory Maguire's Wicked... and my outlook on this week is rejuvinated. I was blown away that I had the energy to lay there and read for so long...but I was so excited to be awake with nothing to do but read. I was so excited to have nothing to do but nothing...

But it's actually not nothing...reading and playing guitar is something. It's just a something that gets edged out when I don't leave time for it. It's something that this Monday morning feels like life blood.

My new bedroom is now officially organized and books are on their proper shelves. I'm very excited for a lot more nothing tonight.

3 comments:

The !saac Fix said...

I'm enjoying a bit of nothing today as well. The past few months i've been really protecting my days for nothing. In fact sometimes i like to have some tentative plans on my nothing days just so i can say "hmm, i don't feel like doing that and that's ok, because today is my nothing day." (of course, this is bad if it's laundry or grocery shopping)

But hey, enjoy a bit of nothing.

wren said...

zen.

Jenna St.Hilaire said...

All I've got to say is "Amen!"

And while I'm commenting: Your IKEA post was one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. It made me want to go see the place. They should offer you a job in marketing ;-)