Monday, October 30, 2006

Pumpkins and Gargoyles: Why I Love Fall

For the first time ever, I've found something about fall in Washington that can stir me up with seasonal love almost as much as the fall colors back home: the pumpkin fields on my drive to work...

I can't even guesstimate how many acres of pumpkins there are by my house, but it results in thousands of pumpkins turning at least ten fields bright orange.

Yesterday as I was driving towards town in the morning, the fog was rolling off the hills to reveal the snow line is dropping...and fall became this eerie blend of orange and fog and snow...I was aghast at how beautiful it was...and it was the first time in recorded history that I discovered something about fall in Washington that I love as much as fall in Ohio! That felt odd...like I'm betraying my love for Fall in Ohio by loving something so distinct about Fall in Washington.

But it wasn't as odd of a feeling as you get when you're driving down I-5 towards Seattle with Pam and Heidi and pass a truck with a gargoyle in the bed. You don't see that everyday. If you're in the market for a hand-crafted bronze statue that looks like Satan, there's this guy in Tacoma you can call...for a tiny moment I was convinced that Hogwarts must be within driving distance of Mount Vernon and that they were receiving a handcrafted delivery. Then I realized, no, it's probably just a special order for your neighborhood Seattle sorceror...

3 comments:

Pastor Paul said...

You're not betraying Ohio. You're just becoming a Godly woman. Of course, this is coming from a man who's thoroughly enjoying Montana, and I'm not feeling guilty at all. However, I'll never root for WSU.

suz said...

Heather, I must say I was pretty impressed with the pumpkin fields around your place during my visit. I mean, they don't hold a candle to the Episcopal Church down the road that sells pumpkins off their front lawn every year for reasons I know not, but still...

Drewser said...

Playing frisbee with your dog while wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the middle of November is something I've come to love about Arizona fall ;-)