Monday, April 25, 2005

Is it possible?

Is it possible that during these first few years of youth ministry, the biggest and most significantly changed life in my work will be me?

It feels self-centered to say that...but I know I was reading a youth ministry book where they said that your first TEN years of ministry are about shaping YOU and the time AFTER that is about shaping others.

That doesn't mean that I'm not making an impact with kids. Because I know that I am. I know that I encourage them. Last week when I walked into the cafeteria to sit down with Daniel, I was immediately approached by Kaitlyn (whom I have been trying to connect with and minister to for SIX months) who called me a "Turd" for not immediately coming to sit with her.

I also know that my first thoughts of what I want to share about "What's going on in the ministry," is more about what God is doing inside of me right now to change and shape my heart than about how he's using me to impact students. Maybe it's just because it's what I see more clearly. Maybe it's because it's where progress and change is happening most significantly. Maybe it's because big things are on the horizon and God is prepping me for something that I can't quite see yet.

I do know that I'm waking up every morning and dedicating an hour to the Lord before I come to work and that one hour is starting to define my whole day.

3 comments:

Drewser said...

Camel, you really are an incredible encouragement. During times when I'm totally stressed out and my own QT has unfortunately taking more of a second priority, your encouraging entries are quite inspiring. Keep up the Spiritual Renewal Week.

Anonymous said...

You are not alone, hmb. As much as I am committed to living my life on mission and in service supposedly for others, I find that is me that I am learning most about. That must be Jesus' way of developing our character and our hearts, shaping them even as he uses them to further his Kingdom. And I have this sneaking feeling that God is always prepping us for something that we can't quite see. At least not until we step into it. I love journeying with you.

hmb said...

Adriaaaaa. thank you. thank you, Drew, too.

In continued reflection on this topic--I'm wondering--if we're at a point in ministry where it's ALL about the people to whom we minister and no longer about what God is doing in us individually at the same time, are we really doing God-centered ministry at all? I'm not saying it's not. It's just something I'm thinking through.