Thursday, February 19, 2009

Space for Creativity

Recently, Pilgrim at Lake Michigan wrote a blog that's stuck with me, about taking your creativity on a date.

I've been wanting a creative space of my own, pretty much forever--a space that would foster creative energy. In Fall 2005, when I found myself with a 2-bedroom apartment all to myself, I had this dream of making the 2nd bedroom into "The Studio," my creative space for knitting, songwriting, journaling, bookmaking, etc. It never really happened.

Sometime that year, SuzPT gave me a copy of Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own, where Woolf expands on her premise, "A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." Again, I found myself longing for a room just for writing.

Lately, with work, marriage, school, and church, I find myself wedging out both exercise and creativity, and because of this, I feel spiritually and emotionally drained a lot. I have no space in my current life for creative pursuits. When I think of Eden, I think of how the Lord gave us a place designed for exploration and creativity.

Lord, I long for Eden...I long for a holy space...I long for a place of my own--where there is quiet and where there is space for creativity.

What's gotta give to make that happen?

2 comments:

wren said...

What happened to the second bedroom idea?

hbu said...

Well, it currently is full of crap. All sorts of crap. It's in need of a massive dumpster run, because there's so much stuff in there that we can't use any of the stuff or any of the space--so we just need to clean it out, but it would easily be a several week project. A week or two just to clean stuff out, throw stuff away, consolidate the furniture, and reorganize all the books to the bookshelves in the hallway, and then it needs a decorative overhaul....so, I don't see any way it can be a functional creative space for many more months, because we don't have available time to invest in it right now.

It's my best option right now, but I don't have access to any immediate creative space.