Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Dreaded Holiday Party

Okay. Confession time: I don't like holiday parties.
WHAT?! It's true. I don't. I have three holiday parties this week, and as it turns out, I don't like them.

This should seem weird for the following reasons:
1. Holiday parties always have good food.
2. Holiday parties include close friends.
3. Holiday parties include fun outfits.

But--the parties themselves, I don't enjoy as much as I feel like I should. And I figured out why...

Pam Shaffer the Wafer recently pointed out, "The best day of 2006 was IKEA day." Why is it that one day of running around a dreaded retail store acting ridiculous was more fun than a seemingly fun series of holiday parties with good friends? That makes no sense! So--in an attempt to figure this out, I've noted other fantastic happenings in late-2006: Casey family football...Night out at Threadgill's in Austin...And Tuesday Girls' Night with Pam and Heidi.

What do all of these fantastic days have in common? They were completely unplanned and had zero expectation. Therefore, their goodness was accentuated even more by the fact there was no pressure, no expectation, no intense ideal to live up to.

Heidi keeps saying that her favorite holiday is St. Paddy's day, because there's no pressure, and it's just a good night out with friends. Ahh--there is a THEME going here!

So...I don't know what to do...I'm still going to go to holiday parties...But I think, for the record, I'm going to refuse (from this point forward) to plan one...until a creative alternative that strips the holiday party of its expectations can be created.

In honor of shining moments in my first two holiday parties, however, which had their fun moments in my general non-enjoyment, I present these photojournalistic highlights:

The YD Adventures Christmas Bash at Stonewater Ranch....

Shining Moment? The Single's Table! HAHA! Without realizing it at first, all of the singles retreated from the chaos of wandering toddlers (about twenty of them, to be exact) to the big table in the corner. It's like we annexed ourselves Texas-style...at first we didn't realize it...then someone caught on and we said, "Egads! All the single people are at one table!" This is significant, because in ministry it often feels like it's overwhelmingly geared towards married people and families...it was nice to look around the table and say, "I am not an enigma." So, thanks to Miranda, Heidi, Steve, Becca, Dan, Jim, Derek, Mara, Kurtis, Tex, Adam, and Katy...my fellow Adventure guides...for representing...
















The YD Staff Party...Last Night


Apparently many people suffer from this problem with photos I wasn't aware of called, "Stoner Eye." I've never really suffered from it, but for a few of my friends, I discovered that taking good photos with them is a challenge because in all the photos they end up looking like they're drugged out.

So--I spent a good chunk of the Christmas party trying to get good photos. This is the best I could do:

Pam Shaffer Wafer smiles for the camera... sort of... I think she's covering up her face so the toddlers don't recognize her...they like to come up behind us on the couch and braid our hair. Without asking. And with sticky fingers. Plus, Pam has long hair you can swing on like a jungle gym, so they like that too.


By far, the most eligible bachelor at the Christmas party was Baby Rider...I think I made a move on him-- feeding him dinner and then cuddling (isn't this the gateway to all men's hearts?) As he was eating, I explained to him the importance of washing his hands before playing with my hair--and--how the key to any good holiday party is a killer soundtrack.


And--finally, after several hundred failed attempts, Sarah and I left the party with a decent photo of ourselves. Sarah recently chopped several feet of her hair off, and she wears it down all the time. She looks amazing.


So...one more holiday party to go on Saturday. I will be meditating ahead of time to strip it of expectations and pressures...so that I'll be guaranteed a good time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I could halp make the YD Christmas party a success for you. I enjoy reading the things that you write.

Becca