Friday, June 02, 2006

The Gig...

Andy, Bethany, Jonathan and I had a blast performing for the 45 people who joined us for the Songwriters Showcase last evening.

The afternoon started early, with a last-minute run-through, gathering up the sound equipment and getting it all set up. It was stressful! Because...we had not thought to recruit roadies...apparently, you don't know that you need roadies until you have none. We discovered this need while we were rounding up all the gear, setting it up ourselves, doing a sound check by ourselves, and still trying to relax before the performance. (So if you have an interest in being our roadie, we pay in coffee.)

The set started with Beth and I performing four of my original hits: "Little John Lennon" (an ode to the Christmas present I made for Dad), "Invisible Children" (my social activism song about children sold into slavery), "Driving Home" (my pensive grown-up song, which seems to be generally liked, despite my hesitancy to ever become 'melancholy coffee shop songwriter'), and the ever-popular "Barrista Boy."

After a quick break, Andy and Jonathan launched into a lovely 45 minute set, and Andy even took a few moments to share the story of his personal faith with us. He even did plenty of shameless self-promotion for his platinum-selling album "River Side Songs." Okay...maybe not platinum....but soon to be! (I think 1 1/2 copies were sold at the event!)

So, if you weren't able to make it, I'm sorry you missed Gig #1 for Heather and Gig #2 for Andy. Andy said that the event was surely more exciting than his first gig, which was for an audience of 5.

Stay tuned for more gigs. I had fun. Maybe I'll recruit a band and go on tour...anyone know a good kazoo player?

No comments: