Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Internet is like, a whole new world

On Tuesday, I went down to Fuller Theological Seminary's Northwest Extension Campus (located very close to this spot right here--in the Queen Anne are of Seattle...isn't Seattle beautiful?)

I registered for my one Graduate Class (Early Church History - CH500) and learned how to use Portico, the school's internal web for students and faculty.

Let me tell you what--in the nine years since I started school in 1999, like, school is a whole new thing.

Not entirely new, but, in 1999, I was just introduced to Power Point, and I was still using my very first hotmail account. In 2008, my school email is a Google Application and I can pay my tuition through EFT or get miles on my Southwest Visa. My class syllabus is a Word Document I download from the Class Webpage.

Gone are the days are waiting in the line at the Registrar's Office with your bubble sheet. Gone are the days of carrying around a floppy disk to print out your paper at the Library because your HP 660 ran out of toner. Gone are the days of camping out at the library to wait in line to use the research computers.

I can't imagine what it's like for y'all who return to school since the dawn of computers...I'm like, shocked enough. I can't wait to become Facebook friends with my professors!

3 comments:

wren said...

you are so funny. i have often thought about the comparisons of grad school compared to high school, but never thought that you would be surprised by how much the internet is used in grad school. have fun!

hbu said...

Also, I have not been in school since 2003...unlike yourself...

pamela said...

ok..having been in school continually and seen the many many changes as they happen, i am not crying about not having to learn the 'new and improved' software and means and methods of doing everything that inevitable happen every year in colleges so that they can stay up with the times and thus maintain their school ranking.